Monday 10 December 2007

Musical Rants

I've been playing in my band for about three years now, played gigs with a lot of different people, and met a lot of different assholes. We played a gig in London once where the promoter refused to help us take our gear to the store room, cause "then everyone would be asking me for help!" Yeah, what an idiot. I've had the misfortune of dealing with the failed rockstar soundman, who sound checked our instruments and my vocals himself, you know, forgetting that we had to do that ourselves.

But no, now it gets worse. While booking a band for one of our upcoming gigs, we hear that their manager's been asking the promoter for an 'offer,' cause they have been offered a gig on the same date that apparently pays better. We actually asked the guys from the band if they would play in person, and they agreed, so doing this behind our backs is just rude. Anyway, the promoter bows to their managers request of a hundred quid, which is pretty cheeky, but I guess they're used to getting paid way over the odds to play coked up warehouse parties for trust fund nu rave kids down shoreditch way.

Then today, we get asked if we can make sure we advertise them as "guests", rather than "support." Do these jokers need to man up or what? Who needs to make sure people don't think that they're the lesser act of the evening? I keep getting reminded that, you know, they're nice guys really, but jesus, their manager represents them, so as far as I'm concerned, they're just as guilty. You can't pretend to be oblivious to this.

This kind of gutless bullshit makes me sick, but I can console myself with the fact that this kind of crap will eventually bite you in butt. Like when the kids realise you're not that cool, cause your dad manages you.

No comments: